Using the following words create typographical representations that present both the word and a suggestion of its meaning.
Sad Safe Sardonic Saucy Scholarly Serious Shadow Shattered Shy Short Silly Sinking Skimpy Sleek Smart Snowy Sodden Soothing Sordid Sophisticated Speed Squat Squeeze Stiff Stodgy Stoned Style Supine Swagger Sweet
Using A4 Paper and Scissors:
- Sad – small, dissolved and with a slight downward arch. Bottom of page because when sad feel low. Colour black for sadness.
- Safe – big, bold font, upper caps, shows strength, close together shows being safe when stuck together, centre of page away from edges, safe. Colour, calming blue and with a metallic gradient and black stroke protecting letters.
- Sardonic – I find this a difficult word to represent in type. Colour red to show negativity, ugly font, slight bulge to create not appealing design to represent ugly emotion.
- Saucy – Red for passion and love. Thin font but with stylish flicks to create allure.
- Scholarly – Times new roman font – clean, serif, italic, and commonly used for text. Has old feel like. Black to represent black ink used by scholars.
- Serious – block letters all caps , thin, serif, straight.
- Shadow – colour doge but has own shadow highlighting word.
- Shattered – broken and shattered, stained glass effect texture and stencil like font.
- Shy – small in corner, font is freeform handwriting type font, away from everyone else. Opacity lowered, would rather be invisible.
- Short – standing straight but short, green with envy, green grass, font is illustrated with short curves and points.
- Silly – long and curves which looks like smiles, colour multicolour for happy and fun. Childlike font. Stroke, looks like someone drew it and coloured in.
- Sinking – sinking to bottom of page, bubble texture and blue colour for sea representation. A little distortion for undersea affect.
- Sweet – orange like sweet orange and also sweets. Child like font to show sweet amd sweet packet like font.
- Stiff – Standing straight stiff, stencil, rigid font like army. Strong blue colour.
- Sordid – Negative word – upside down and grouped with sardonic. Red – evil colour, thin sharp font.
- Sophisticated – strong on top, elegant calligraphy font type.
- Speed – speeding into distance, yellow to represent light, light is fast. Font used helps looks like its travelling. Also, gradient colour, motion effect.
- Squat – solid colour and shape, bevel, squat is strong but short, standing. Facing down like squat.
- Squeeze – purple from getting squeezed. Squeeze transform, stroke added to close gaps. Bold but small font.
- Stodgy – full of water, inner glow, wobbly font,
- Stoned – green for weed, slanted for being stoned, and wobbly font. Opacity low
- Style – stylistic font with curves and angles, red is attractive.
- Supine – laying down, shadow on ground, midnight blue
- Swagger – cool pink, stroke, bevel, funky layout of letters.
- Sweet – bubblegum pink, rounded font,
I found this task difficult at times because I did not know how I could represent the word through its shape, colour or size. I was also not familiar with some of the words like sardonic and supine. Some of the words I enjoyed representing with type were the word speed and I found this easy to represent. Sinking was another word I felt I could represent well with the word literally sinking to the bottom of the page. I think shattered came across well with the glass like word shattered in different places. Also after a little thought, I was able to come up with the idea of the word shadow being highlighted by a shadow to show the word.
Typography is very difficult because I felt restricted with the current font types preinstalled on my system. I am aware now free fonts are available which can represent all different types of words and meanings. I think when approaching type in the future I need to think more out of the box but I think I did well for a first attempt.